Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1lb chicken breast – cooked and shredded (I bake mine in the oven with some olive oil for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, then I shred the chicken.)
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 10 oz can Rotel®, drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup yellow corn, drained
- ¼ cup fat free cottage cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 7 Corn tortillas (I use Wheat tortillas)
- 10 oz can spicy green chili enchilada sauce
- ½ cup reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese or I prefer Low Mozzarella
First step is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 inch square baking pan with foil. You can also use nonstick cooking spray if you prefer – I like to use foil to make clean up easier! In a large pan, add a little bit of olive oil and then add your chicken, garlic, chili powder, cumin and onions and cook them on medium heat. You’ll want to make sure the onions become translucent and very tender. Next, stir in the beans, corn and Rotel and mix it all in well then remove that from the heat and set it aside.
In a small bowl, mix up your sour cream, cottage cheese, and garlic powder to layer with your meat mixture.
Now you need to mix. You’ll somewhat layer this like you do lasagna. First, place two of the tortillas so they’re overlapping on the bottom of the pan. Then add half of the meat mixture and half of the creamy mixture. Then cover with two tortillas and add half the can of enchilada sauce. Repeat these steps with the rest of the ingredients for the next layer.
Cover the pan with foil and cook for 30 minutes so it’s heated throughout. Remove the pan from the oven, add the cheese on top and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes so the cheese is melted over the top! Remove from the oven and you’ve got yourself a delicious dinner! Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy your 290 ish calorie dinner!